Upstate Forever is currently seeking a Land Stewardship Manager to join our nationally accredited land trust. To apply, please review the job description below and submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be received until July 31, 2019.
Land Stewardship Manager
The Land Stewardship Manager plays an integral role in Upstate Forever's land protection program. The goal of this program is to work with willing landowners and partners using a variety of conservation tools to permanently protect rivers and streams, natural and scenic areas, farmland, and wildlife habitat. This is a full-time position that reports to the Land Conservation Director
The Land Stewardship Manager will assist the Land Conservation Director in achieving Upstate Forever’s vision, goals, related strategies, and initiatives associated with the Land Conservation program. A significant portion of the work of the Land Stewardship Manager will be based in Greenville but will also include travel around the ten-county Upstate region.
- Conservation Easement Stewardship – Ensure that all conservation easements are upheld by accomplishing the following tasks:
- Monitor inventory of conservation easements annually;
- Maintain professional and complete records in compliance with Land Trust Standards and Practices and Upstate Forever policies, documenting all activities on a protected property and all relevant correspondence with the landowner;
- Prevent violations by implementing landowner education strategies and building relationships with assigned landowners;
- Address landowner questions, requests, or violations in accordance with Upstate Forever policies;
- Conduct enforcement activities;
- Complete reports for the Land Conservation Director, Land Trust Committee, and external stakeholders as required.
- Promote and Expand Land Conservation – Using an accredited process, document and guide landowners through conservation easement transactions.
- Negotiate terms of conservation easements with interested landowners, draft easements, conduct due diligence and close transactions.
- Establish and develop strong relationships with community leaders and landowners.
- Prepare South Carolina Conservation Bank and other grant applications.
Outreach/Education – Assist in program-wide outreach initiatives to educate landowners and their professional advisors about land preservation through conservation agreements. Maintain and strengthen relationships with easement holders and their neighbors. Manage volunteer program directed on ecological enhancements on eased properties. Promote climate change education among internal and external stakeholders.
Land Trust Accreditation, Standards and Practices – Assist Land Conservation Director in upholding the land trust’s Accredited status by the Land Trust Alliance.
Other Responsibilities – Perform additional work assigned by the Land Conservation Director.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Education – A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree preferably in law, planning, biology, environmental science, or related field. Preference will be given to candidates with a South Carolina law license.
- Preferred Experience – Progressive responsibility with a land trust stewardship program; familiarity with maintaining land trust accreditation and insurance records; experience with nonprofits; and real estate work or real property legal knowledge.
- Technical Skills – General office and computer skills are required. Working knowledge of ArcGIS, GPS, and layout design software preferred.
- People Skills – A strong track record of collaboration and partnership with varying stakeholders in development of successful conservation projects; experience working effectively with landowners, board members, major donors, volunteers and other conservation organizations; ability to interact with individuals from different backgrounds, ages and socio-economic levels in a manner that positively reflects the values of Upstate Forever.
- Communication – Demonstrated success and expertise in the development and management of complex conservation and stewardship projects; expertise in systematically and thoroughly managing a dynamic portfolio of projects within defined quality assurance policies and procedures; strong speaking, writing and listening skills; able to effectively communicate the importance of Upstate Forever’s work to landowners and a high comfort level for speaking in front of groups.
- Part of a Team – Is easy to approach and talk to; spends extra effort to put people at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; able to work with others, respect for all team members and ability to foster and maintain an enjoyable, rewarding and productive workplace.
- Self-Motivated – Comfortable working independently on multiple projects simultaneously, strong organizational and time management skills, a commitment to accuracy and integrity in all aspects of the job.
- Mobility – Independent travel around Upstate Forever’s ten-county region is common, weekend work is needed on occasion, and overnight travel is rare and limited primarily to conferences and professional development opportunities. Navigating difficult terrain and environmental conditions is frequently required.
BENEFITS FOR FULL-TIME POSITION
- Salary starting at $46,500 and may be commensurate with experience
- Health and dental insurance
- Paid time off
- Simple IRA with company contribution
- Flexible workplace and scheduling
- Mileage reimbursement for travel
Upstate Forever is an equal opportunity employer. South Carolina is an “employment-at-will” state. Applications will be received until July 31, 2019.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to:
507 Pettigru Street
Greenville, SC 29601
All inquiries will be kept in strict confidence.
Upstate Forever does not have internships on a regular schedule, but we do occasionally engage interns for specific projects based on qualifications and availability. If you would like to be considered for future opportunities, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.